Consult leading prostate cancer specialists
BEFORE you decide on prostate cancer treatment
Choosing the Right Treatment
for Prostate Cancer
Written by Jacek L. Mostwin M.D., and colleagues
at the world-renowned James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute
* * * * * * * * * *
A detailed prostate cancer treatment guide so you can
LEARN MORE ABOUT YOUR BEST OPTIONS
before making any irrevocable decisions
Has your doctor just said the two words you dread most: prostate cancer?
If you’re reading this letter now, you or a loved one may have just received a diagnosis of prostate cancer.
If that is the case, you are NOT alone.
After skin cancer, prostate cancer is the #1 form of cancer in men and the #2 cause of cancer death (after lung cancer).
For many, prostate cancer progresses slowly as compared with other cancers. That means you have time to learn all you can about your prostate cancer test results and options, to make the best prostate cancer treatment choices possible for YOU.
You need the most current, reliable information on the most successful prostate cancer treatment options available to you, so you can make informed decisions about your future.
That’s why the University of California, Berkeley School of Public Health has engaged Dr. Jacek L. Mostwin, Dr. H. Ballentine Carter, and a team of top cancer specialists at the renowned James Brady Urological Institute at Johns Hopkins to bring you Choosing The Right Treatment For Prostate Cancer. This authoritative Special Health Report contains vital information you won’t find in any other single source.
Knowledge Is Key When It Comes to Treating
Prostate Cancer Successfully
Prostate cancer is unusual in that there is NO CONSENSUS among doctors about the best treatment for prostate cancer — or even, in many cases, whether any type of treatment at all is necessary.
You owe it to yourself to learn as much as you can about prostate cancer and your best treatment options, BEFORE you make any irrevocable decisions. Your prostate cancer treatment choices should not just preserve life, but preserve quality of life for you and your loved ones.
In Choosing The Right Treatment For Prostate Cancer, you’ll discover which options have been proven successful through rigorous study and statistical analysis.
This is information so crucial to your decision-making process, that Choosing The Right Treatment For Prostate Cancer is available right now as a PDF download. You can be sure your guide contains up-to-the minute information to help you choose from among the best treatments available, to help you in your quest for the best possible outcome.
Choosing The Right Treatment For Prostate Cancer begins by helping you understand the importance of test results: PSA test scores, prostate biopsy results, and Gleason Score, and how your entire group of test results is crucial to take into consideration when choosing your prostate cancer treatment.
Learn all this and more, so you can carefully evaluate all the options currently available for treating your particular stage of prostate cancer. Your current treatment options are:
- Active surveillance (also known as proactive surveillance and expectant management)
- Nerve-sparing radical prostatectomy
- Radiation therapy (including proton beam therapy, EBRT, 3DCRT, IMRT, IGRT and brachytherapy)
- A combination of one or more of these therapies
It’s a daunting list. How can you possibly choose which therapy, or combination of therapies, will be right for YOU?
Choosing The Right Treatment For Prostate Cancer takes you step-by-step through your decision-making process – drawing on the considerable expertise of leading specialists in each field.
You will learn about each one of your options, its pros and cons, and what factors in your own test results and personal circumstances would indicate choosing one prostate cancer treatment over another, and which is likely to help you achieve the best outcome.
If you don’t know the answers to all of the questions listed below, you owe it to yourself to order a copy of Choosing the Right Treatment for Prostate Cancer NOW.
REAL Questions from REAL Patients Like You
Choosing The Right Treatment For Prostate Cancer provides you with a comprehensive guide to all the crucial issues to consider in treating prostate cancer, and the most important questions to ask your doctor before taking ANY action:
- How effective is the treatment at eliminating cancer?
- What are the side effects of the treatment?
- What about the long-term risks?
- The psychological implications of treatment?
- What is the treatment’s duration?
- Based on all my test scores, what is my realistic prognosis?
Ultimately, your decision about prostate cancer treatment has to be guided by the clinical stage of your cancer, the extent of the disease, and your age and overall health.
In Choosing The Right Treatment For Prostate Cancer, you will learn:
- How the Partin tables can help predict your prostate cancer prognosis.
- How is “low-grade cancer defined?
- What your Gleason score means when deciding on your best course of action.
- Why you should consider getting a second opinion.
- How pathologists determine your TNM cancer stage.
- Why your TNM stage is so crucial in choosing prostate cancer treatment.
Should you get a second opinion? YES, say our specialists, and not only from a urologist. In one study, 1.3% of the prostate biopsy samples from other pathology labs that physicians were asked to re-examine were found to have been incorrectly classified. Getting an incorrect reading can limit your treatment options — or lead to having treatments that you don’t really need.
In Choosing The Right Treatment For Prostate Cancer, you’ll also get guidelines on how to assemble the most effective support team to help you in your battle against prostate cancer.
You’ll get all this in one in-depth report all for $29.95 (US). And your order is entirely risk free: If for ANY reason you are not satisfied, simply contact Customer Service for a prompt refund.
Are You a Candidate for Active Surveillance?
In Choosing The Right Treatment For Prostate Cancer, you’ll learn why there is no definitive consensus amongst doctors about the best treatment for your prostate cancer — or even whether ANY type of treatment is necessary.
That’s right. Many men are now opting for active surveillance (formerly called expectant management). In the first part of Choosing The Right Treatment For Prostate Cancer, Dr. H. Ballentine Carter, Director of Adult Urology at the Brady Urological Institute and a practicing surgeon, takes you through the pros and cons of active surveillance, and answers your most pressing questions, such as:
- Who should consider active surveillance for prostate cancer?
- What factors should be considered before deciding on active surveillance for low-risk prostate cancer?
- How will you be monitored during active surveillance?
- When should a man stop active surveillance and consider therapy for his prostate cancer?
- What is the greatest risk for a man who is enrolled in an active surveillance program?
- What do data from surveillance programs throughout North American tell us about the odds of having to undergo treatment?
- Are men with favorable-risk prostate cancer taking advantage of the active surveillance option in the United States?
All this and more is covered in Choosing the Right Treatment for Prostate Cancer, available now as a DIGITAL EDITION for $29.95 (US), with a full money-back guarantee, so you can order risk-free and start applying what your learn right away.
Radical Prostatectomy: You’ve Got Choices
What if your prostate test scores indicate that active surveillance is not the right choice for you? Should you consider radical prostatectomy? In Choosing The Right Treatment For Prostate Cancer, leading experts in the field answer all your questions about the different options available for radical prostatectomy.
Nerve-Sparing Radical Prostatectomy by H. Ballentine Carter, M.D.
Robotic-Assisted Radical Prostatectomy by Mohamad E. Allaf, M.D.
In his chapter on open nerve-sparing radical prostatectomy, Dr. Carter guides you step-by-step through the procedure, explains how to find a competent and caring surgeon, and tells you why he favors open surgery (with a scalpel) over robotic-assisted surgery. You’ll read answers to many of your most crucial questions:
- What happens during the surgery?
- How important is experience in choosing a surgeon?
- Regarding regular surgery versus robotic or laparoscopic procedures, what is the advantage for a surgeon being able to feel the prostate with his hands when performing a radical prostatectomy?
- What are the possible complications of open surgery for prostate cancer?
- How long does the operation take?
- When will the patient return to work after surgery?
- When does post-surgical PSA testing begin?
Should you choose a robot to “perform” your surgery? Mohamad E. Allaf, M.D., explores this fascinating technology. Robotic-assisted radical prostatectomy has gained in popularity, although surgical outcomes do not surpass traditional open surgery for prostate cancer. Dr. Allaf, the Director of Minimally Invasive and Robotic Surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital, describes the benefits of the surgery and takes readers step-by-step through the surgical procedure performed with the assistance of the $1.5 million robot. He also provides a look at future robotic-assisted surgery.
- Does robotic-assisted surgery have a benefit compared with the traditional open surgical procedure?
- What are the potential risks and complications of a robotic-assisted prostatectomy?
- What is the post-operative pain level after robotic-assisted prostatectomy?
- How long is a catheter required after surgery?
Proton Beam Therapy, 3DCRT, IMRT, IGRT, Brachytherapy:
What Are Your Radiation Therapy Options?
Many cancer patients eschew surgery and opt for radiation therapy for treating their prostate cancer. In this chapter, radiation oncology experts explain external beam therapies, including PBT (Proton Beam Therapy) … 3DCRT (Three-Dimensional Conformal Radiation Therapy) … IMRT (Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy) … and IGRT (Image-Guided Radiation Therapy) … and brachytherapy — an internal radiation treatment in which radioactive seeds are implanted directly into the prostate.
In the chapter Radiation Therapy for Prostate Cancer: Evaluating the Treatment Options by Phuoc T. Tran, M.D., Ph.D. , you’ll read detailed, authoritative answers to the most frequently asked questions about the use of radiation for treating prostate cancer. Here are just a few of the questions we address:
- Who is the ideal prostate cancer patient for radiation therapy?
- How does radiation therapy actually kill cancer cells?
- How are dosages for external radiation therapy determined?
- How would you guide a patient in selecting external-beam radiation therapy, brachytherapy, or radical prostatectomy as a cancer therapy?
- What happens during an external radiation therapy session?
- What is the definition of success with external radiation therapy?
- What is the definition of a treatment failure for radiation therapy?
- After five years of steady PSA readings, can a patient who has had radiation therapy feel that he is cured?
- What is the impact of external radiation on sexual function?
- How do you find the best treatment facility for your radiation therapy? Four key questions you should ask.
- Should a man consider proton beam therapy for treating his prostate cancer?
- How does proton beam therapy work?
- What do you tell men who are considering proton beam therapy for prostate cancer?
- What is CyberKnife therapy, and should a man consider it for treating his prostate cancer?
- What is HIFU or high-intensity focused ultrasound?
In the chapter Brachytherapy for Primary Prostate Cancer by Phuoc T. Tran, M.D., Ph.D., Dr. Tran discusses:
- What is the appeal of brachytherapy?
- What is the cure rate with brachytherapy?
- Does a patient’s anatomy affect his suitability for brachytherapy?
- Is brachytherapy a good option for a patient with high-risk prostate cancer?
- What comes first in a combination radiation therapy protocol for the intermediate-risk patient: brachytherapy or external radiation therapy?
- What type of brachytherapy “seeds” are used and how many are needed?
- Do the seeds kill cancer cells?
- What is a cold spot and how is it treated?
- What’s a “successful” PSA measurement after radiation treatment?
- What is a PSA “bounce?”
- Once the seeds have been placed, is the man considered “radioactive”?
- Is erectile hardness maintained with brachytherapy?
- Why does sexual function typically decline after radiation therapy?
- When can a man resume normal activities of daily living after undergoing brachytherapy?
- What is high-dose brachytherapy?
And that’s not all. In Choosing the Right Treatment For Prostate Cancer, Emmanuel S. Antonarakis, M.D. addresses the difficult topic of late-stage prostate cancer in his chapter When Prostate Cancer Has Advanced. He explains the promising “smart” drugs that are now giving hope to men with advanced prostate cancer.
Plus, this Special Health Report includes: a glossary of key terms, charts, tables, diagrams and illustrations to help you understand your condition fully.
University of California, Berkeley, School of Public Health
Choosing the Right Treatment For Prostate Cancer is published by the University of California, Berkeley, School of Public Health. This publication and others like it are an outgrowth of the Schools commitment to help improve the health and wellness of our community of readers by publishing expert advice on prevention, diagnosis and treatment for a wide range of ailments and disorders. We provide trusted, authoritative health guidance from leading physicians and researchers at Americas top medical centers and hospitals.
The School of Public Health is
consistently rated among the best in the nation
The faculty, consistently noted as among the leading scholars in their respective fields, comprises approximately 150 investigators. Among our faculty are Institute of Medicine members, American Association for the Advancement of Science fellows, Fulbright fellows, and National Academy of Sciences members. The School enrolls approximately 575 graduate students a year, as well as educating about 425 undergraduate students through the upper-division public health major. The School’s more than 15,000 graduates can be found working throughout the world, both in the public and private sectors.
The School of Public Health believes that everyone,
everywhere has the right to a healthy life
Your purchase Choosing the Right Treatment For Prostate Cancer supports the School of Public Health faculty and students in their work to confront the major health challenges of our generation. A portion of every sale goes to funding scholarships. Your purchase will directly benefit your own health as well as those in your community.
Choosing the Right Treatment For Prostate Cancer is designed to give you unprecedented access to the expertise of some the top experts working in the field of prostate cancer research and treatment.
You can count on The School of Public Health to bring you medical information that is trustworthy, impeccably researched and current.
I urge you to put this knowledge and expertise to work for you to make the most crucial decision of your life: how to treat your prostate cancer.
Our No-Strings, Can’t Lose, Must-Be-Satisfied Guarantee!
Don’t hesitate. Choosing the Right Treatment For Prostate Cancer comes with a risk-free guarantee of satisfaction: if you’re not satisfied for any reason, simply contact Customer Service for a prompt refund of your full purchase price of $29.95. Arm yourself with the FACTS in your battle against prostate cancer. Order now.
Remember, this offer is completely RISK-FREE. If for ANY reason you are not satisfied with your Digital Edition of Choosing The Right Treatment For Prostate Cancer, simply contact Customer Service for a prompt and cheerful refund.